For the main dessert for my mom’s birthday, I chose to make cupcakes, of course. I knew she didn’t like chocolate though, so I chose a vanilla base, with a cinnamon buttercream. Can you guess what I put on top of it? An apple fritter of course. I tasted as I went along and everything came together quite nicely, and even though I didn’t taste the final product, I was told they were delicious, and that none were left over! It seriously makes me so happy that different individuals are trying the things I bake.
Apple Fritter Cupcakes
yield: appx. 30 cupcakes.
for the Vanilla Cupcakes:
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for the Cinnamon Buttercream:
1 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 – 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
3. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
4. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat process with remaining batter.
6. While they’re cooling, make the buttercream. Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar a 1/2 cup at a time until completely incorporated, adding up to 4 tablespoons of milk when the icing gets to thick. Add vanilla and cinnamon and beat until just combined.
7. Add piece of apple fritter and enjoy.
Cupcake Source: Fake Ginger