In honor of halloween, and upon carving pumpkins, I made roasted pumpkin seeds! I mean who likes to waste all the good stuff IN the pumpkin. However, I heard that the pumpkins that you pick in the fields are not the best to make pumpkin pies from – they come out stringy. So head to your local grocer and buy a milk or sugar pumpkin for baking a pie. This is what I get for watching the news on saturday mornings at work.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds – Halloween Flavored
Pumpkin [carved and seeded]
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1. Separate the seeds from the pumpkin when carving. Wash them well, in water, and spread them on a paper towel to dry.
2. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
3. Spread the seeds on a cookie sheet [I put on top of parchment paper] and lightly pour butter over the seeds with melted butter [or margarine/vegetable oil].
4. Add cinnamon, ginger, salt, and allspice on top of seeds, in an even manner.
5. Heat them in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Stir every 5 minutes. They may need to stay in for a bit longer
6. Serve hot or cold. [These are great for an on the go snack!]
Source: adapted from Pumpkin Patches and More