I was invited to The Tastes from Home with Frito-Lay Recipe Contest. Therefore, I had to provide a recipe that reminded me of home, or that was inspired by one of their chips. I immediately thought of my mom’s baked chicken, and the garden my dad has been growing in the backyard. I decided on a simple, yet delicious recipe, my own bruschetta chicken, with a side of pasta. I’m also hosting a Frito-Lays giveaway on my other blog so be sure to check it out here.
Bruschetta Chicken with Pasta
yield: 4 servings
for the Chicken:
4 chicken breasts
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated cheese, plus extra for serving
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper
2 large eggs
for the Bruschetta:
8 tomatoes on the vine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup basil leaves
salt and pepper
1 baguette of french bread
for the Pasta:
1 box pasta, I chose penne
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Adjust an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 475 degrees F.
2. Combine the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, then add the parmesan cheese.
3. In a second shallow dish, combine the flour, garlic powder, 1 tbsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. of pepper together.
4. In a third shallow dish, whisk together the eggs.
5. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with vegetable/canola oil spray. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Lightly dredge each chicken piece in the flour to coat completely, shaking off the excess. Then dip into the eggs and finally coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Press on the breadcrumbs to make sure they adhere. Place the chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet and put aside.
6. Parboil the tomatoes for one minute in boiling water. Drain, and using a sharp knife, or your fingers, take the skins off. Once peeled, cut them in half and quarters and remove the seeds and juice from their centers. Cut and discard stem area.
7. Chop the tomatoes finely.
8. Mix tomatoes, garlic, 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Add the chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
9. Put chicken into the oven for 15 minutes.
10. Start the pasta – when done drain and add butter.
11. Cut baguette and add butter. Toast baguette in the oven, while chicken in still cooking.
12. Take chicken out when done.
To Prepare the Plate:
1. Take a good amount of pasta and put on the plate.
2. Add 1 piece of chicken over the pasta.
3. Place the bruschetta on top of the chicken.
4. Place a piece of toasted baguette on top
5. Season with salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese, if wanted.
Source: Kay’s Sweet Obsessions