I now understand why everyone loves Red Velvet Cupcakes, they’re seriously too good to be true. The cake is so moist, and the cream cheese frosting is to die for. One taste of these cupcakes and you’ll want another. I made them for Valentine’s Day, but these can be made for any party, or even just a weeknight.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
yield: 24 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
2½ cups cake flour
1½ cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. (1 oz.) liquid red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
For the Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
for the Cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; whisk to blend.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Let cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
for the Filling:
1. Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth.
4. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
Source: Annie’s Eats