Sunday. Days meant for football, at least during the Fall/Winter. My dad took two london broils out, as well as fries. My mom planned on making a quick salad. I was contemplating making a tasty appetizer, as well as an even better dessert. I had several cupcake recipes in mind, but finally settled on making Cookies & Cream Cupcakes. They not only looked cute, but they tasted sweet, and made everyone come back for seconds.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped (I quarter them)
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. heavy cream
Oreo cookie crumbs
24 Oreo cookie halves
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract.
5. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
6. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
7. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting & Garnish
1. Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.
I used a football Oreo on top of the cupcake, for the special occasion: Packers Win!
Source: Annie’s Eats