In my last post I mentioned that I baked these beauties, along with the Holly Cupcakes. I wanted them to look festive, and they seemed to be a hit. Sort Of. Instead of leaving out the cocoa, I added quite a bit. Therefore they ended up being extremely chocolaty. There were a couple of people at the party, however, who thoroughly enjoyed them.
I found the Whoopie Pie Recipe in the book – Whoopie Pies
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 ounce (1 small bottle) red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
Peppermint Cream Cheese:
6 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of milk [if necessary to make filling able to spread]
Peppermint candy [broken in pieces]
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven & preheat to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
3. In the work bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment [or a bowl – hand mixer used], beat together the butter, shortening, and both sugars on low speed until just combined. INcrease speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and red food coloring and beat just until blended.
4. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the buttermilk to the batter and beat on low until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining flour mixture and 1/2 cup buttermilk and beat until completely combined.
5. Using a spoon, drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets and repeat, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes each, or until the cakes spring back when pressed gently. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring them to the rack to cool completely.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Filling- From Martha Stewart:
1. In a large bowl, combine two 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened; 3 tablespoons butter, softened; and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract.
2. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually beat in 3 cups powdered sugar.
4. If necessary, add milk (1 teaspoon at a time) to make a filling of spreading consistency.
5. Add to Whoopie Pies.
6. Roll the sides in peppermint candy.