For my love’s 21st birthday, I wanted to bake him something he loved. He’s not into sweets [go figure, I am the complete opposite, haha], but he loves food and beer. So I searched the web, and several blogs, until I found the perfect recipe. Beer Cheese Cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting. Okay, maybe they didn’t sound too appetizing, but I figured I’d give it a shot.
Beer Cheese Cupcake Recipe – from Cupcake Project
Yield: About 18 cupcakes
- 1 cup beer (I used Miller Light, since it was his favorite)
- 1 stick, plus 1 tb, unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar (I’d go for the good stuff here. Get something nice and sharp, not the cheap stuff that comes shredded in a bag.)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tb vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat beer and butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat until butter is melted.
- Add cheddar.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the beer mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold flour mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 fill.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup bacon bits (I made my own by cooking some bacon in a glass pan in the microwave for 3 minutes between paper towels and food processing it.)
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add grated cheddar.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar.
- Stir in bacon bits.
How to Make Football Cupcake Toppers
I learned how to make football cupcake toppers from a post on Team Sugar. It’s simply a chocolate covered almond with white decorator gel on it. It’s so easy and so cute!
Now instead of using almonds, I purchased the football sugar toppers prior to finding this recipe, however beer & nuts is the perfect combination!
When I first gave my love the cupcakes, his family was there, and everyone was rather confused. They couldn’t figure out what kind of cupcakes I had made, even when smelling them. I thought they reeked of beer, but I guess that’s because I was baking them all day. I had his parents taste them, and they immediately thought they were pumpkin cupcakes, odd? yes. When I told them they were beer cupcakes, they finally could taste the beer. They thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of this kind of cupcakes, because they had never tasted such a thing. My love tried the cupcake, as well, and said it reminded him of something he tasted when he was a child, I sure hope it wasn’t beer! haha
I’d say these cupcakes were definitely great tasting, and a joy to make.